Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How this A-7 cabinet mod..

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I posted this on AA and diddn't get much response......

    I was just searching the web looking for a drawing of a A-7/ 828 cabinet.
    While listening to my A-7's with a sub. I got down to listen to the vent port to see how much low end was coming out. I was surprised to hear so much volume but sounded boxy and sloppy.
    Then I had this hairbrain idea to make the lower part of the cabinet into a scoop like BLH. I've got a pair of Altec 805's in BLH that sound pretty good. I like the bass in that BLH very smooth and deep.
    What do you guys think would there be any advantage to Scoop-ti-fying the the A-7 cabinet?

    Have fun
    Willie

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    How this A-7 cabinet mod..


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Altec contractor in columbus, Boller Electronics, built some of those back around 1973.


    I DON"T like back loading horns. Tons of phase issues. And no way to correct. I wouldn't want such a cabinet, but hey, it's a free country.

    The problem is the long back path is necessarily way out of phase, correct for it and screw up the mid bass.

    Better IMHO to just build cabs for specific ranges, I just feel the BLH is just too compromised.

    An opinion- put a dollar with it and it will get you a cup of coffee- at White Castle, not Starbucks.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Tom Brennan's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    213
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Perhaps listening to the vent alone sounds sloppy because the transients are higher in frequency and coming off the cone and you weren't hearing them.

    IME ANY low bass listened to without the corresponding upper frequencies sounds boomy and loose.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member ngccglp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 20th, 2005
    Posts
    148
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Agree with Tom, the definition of bass is derived from the upper freq by the horn/driver.

    I think the 828 is very good for what it was designed for. Bill from GPA suggested the 515-LF to get the best bass response from them. Anybody using that combination or has heard that?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.